Jan Krentz is a nationally recognized quilt instructor, author and designer. Winner of the 1998 Teacher of the Year award, Jan's motivating workshops are packed with practical tips, techniques and methods to insure success. Author of Lone Star Quilts & Beyond, Hunter Star Quilts & Beyond, Diamond Quilts and Beyond, Quick Star Quilts & Beyond, and Quick Diamond Quilts. Jan lives with her husband in Poway, California.
- 2012 − CRAFTSY instructor – Diamond Quilt Design online workshop
- 2012 – nominee, several categories – Golden Quilter Award, online
- 2009–2010 – ongoing short quilt lessons online for The Quilt Show. See my lessons list, and subscribe as a member!
- 2009 – (September) – "Picture Perfect" program online on The Quilt Show.
- 2009 – (August) – quilts on display at Material Rewards, Dansville, NY
- 2009 (Fall season) – Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, Golden, Colorado – solo presentation of Jan's quilts on display.
- 2009 (January) – San Diego Examiner.com – 2 part article: Part 1, Part 2
- 2008 (April) Featured Artist – Ogallala Quilter's Society Show, Dimmitt, TX
- 2006 (August) Featured Artist – San Diego Quilt Show
- 2004 Featured Artist – Alex Anderson's Quilting in the Garden Outdoor Quilt Show
- 2001, 2004 & 2005 Teacher of the Year nominee, The Professional Quilter Magazine
- 1998 Teacher of the Year Winner – The Professional Quilter Magazine
- 1996 Featured Artist: Tulare Historical Museum's Best of the Valley Quilt Show
Books, Publications, DVDs, Fabric collections:
- Original Block Design: "Star-Ring Buttons" featured in Vol. 4, Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Collector's Edition.
- Hollyhock Garden fabric collection with Timeless Treasures Fabrics, late 2011/early 2012
- Quick Diamond Quilts & Beyond book – Spring 2010 – (C & T Publishing)
- Jan Krentz Playing Cards – Autumn 2009
- Quick Star Quilts & Beyond book – Spring 2009 – (C & T Publishing)
- Jan Krentz teaches you Lone Star Quilts DVD – August 2008
- Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting Magazine – Spring 2007 – feature article
- 100,000 Quilting Challenge Magazine – Spring 2007 – feature article
- Textural – 2006 Fabric collection with Timeless Treasures Fabrics, NY City
- Quilt-It for Keepsakes – December 2005 – photo transfer quilts
- Poway News Chieftan – October 2005 – feature article
- Quilter's Newsletter Magazine – October 2005 – Diamond Quilts article – Autumn Leaves quilt
- inclusion in Mariner's Compass Quilts—Setting a New Course: New Process, New Patterns, New Projects by Judy Mathieson (July 2005 – 2 quilts, page 20)
- Diamond Quilts & Beyond book – Spring 2005 – (C & T Publishing)
- January 2005 – newspaper release, Ridgecrest CA
- Viewpoint - 2004 Fabric collection with Timeless Treasures Fabrics, NY City
- Quilt it for Keepsakes – Winter '04/Spring '05 – Primedia Publications
- Designer's Quarters – Premier issue – Winter 2004 pages 14-17
- Hunter Star Quilts & Beyond book – Fall 2003 – (C & T Publishing)
- NQA Quilting Quarterly Journal – Spring 2002
- Good Housekeeping Do It Yourself magazine Spring 2002 – pages 86-87
- Lone Star Quilts & Beyond book – Fall 2001 (C & T Publishing)
- The Professional Quilter Magazine, Spring 2001 – nominee, Teacher of the Year
- 1998 – award-winner Teacher of the Year
- Quilting Workshops – May 2000 – Chitra Publications. Eight workshops by nationally-known quilting teachers. Jan's "Hearts at Home" quilt is featured.
- QNM's Quilt It for Kids – May 2000, page 24, "Stars in the Family" – a small photo transfer quilt top with lively colored stars and family photos.
- Quilter's Newsletter Magazine – July 1999 – "Razzle Dazzle" quilt in article "The Challenge of Orange" by Ann Fahl.
- Traditional Quiltworks – July 1999 – Meet the Teacher article and Private Lesson: "Hearts at Home"
- Photo Transfer Handbook, © 1999 by Jean Ray Laury, C&T Publishers.
- The Professional Quilter Magazine, Spring 1998 – winner 1998 Teacher of the Year
Television, Radio, Blog & Podcast Appearances
- Craftsy Diamond Quilt Design interactive online class – airing begins November 2012
- The Quilt Show – online presentation, Quick Diamond Quilts & working with Stripes – July 2012
- Jackie's Quilting Chronicles – online interview
- Craft Radio Review March, 2008 – online interview – click to hear the interview:
- HGTV Simply Quilts – Diamond Quilts, Episode 1126
- TVTV Public Access broadcasting, Boise ID – Quilter's Corner – Spring 2005
- HGTV Simply Quilts – Hunter Star Quilts, Episode 1008
- HGTV Simply Quilts – Lone Star Quilts, Episode 746
Product Development & Endorsement
- Hollyhock Gardens fabric collection 2011 – Timeless Treasures Fabrics
- Textural fabric collection 2006 – Timeless Treasures Fabrics
- fast2Cut Quarter & Half diamond ruler set
- Colorwash Hunter Star foundations – Quiltsmart
- Viewpoint Fabric designs, 2004 – Timeless Treasures Fabrics
- Fussy Cutter 45-degree Diamond Rulers
- Hinged mirrors for Lone Star and other design work
- Affiliation – Pfaff Sewing Machines
- Remarkables Symposium, Queenstown, New Zealand – April 2011
- Bristol, England – April 2010
- Caesarea Quilters on Isle of Jersey – April 2010
- Quilt Guild of Ireland – April 2010
- York Heritage Quilters, Toronto, Canada – Feb. 2010
- Alaska Inside Passage Cruise – June/July 2009
- Mexican Riviera Quilter's Cruise – April 2009
- Mexican Riviera Quilter's Cruise – February 2008
- Yellowknife Northwest Territories, Canada – October 2007
- Manawatu Symposium – Palmerston North, New Zealand – January 2007
- Mexican Riviera Quilter's Cruise – April 2006
- Bristol & Penrith, England – Cabot Conferences – September 2005
General Background Facts
Began sewing: 1959
First Quilt: Cathedral Window, late 1960's
Background in needle skills: sewing, clothing construction, cross-stitch, crewel, embroidery, needlepoint and knitting
High School graduate, Westside H.S., Omaha, NE – 1973
Bachelor of Science, Interior Design & Textile, Clothing & Design – University of Nebraska, Lincoln – 1977
Quilt Teaching: since early 1980's
"I teach and present trunk shows for quilt guilds, quilt shops, retreats, and other related groups. My skills include teaching to a variety of students at various quilting abilities, and helping each student create a design that is exciting to them.
It was a tremendous honor to be nominated for the 1998 Teacher of the Year by my students. I continually strive to do my very best for every class."
Guild memberships include the following groups:
Lemoore Thimble Thumbs quilt guild, 1982-1990, (Lemoore, CA).
Lemoore Order of Calloused Finger, 1982-1984, (Lemoore, CA).
Valley Oaks Quilt Guild, 1986-1990, (Tulare, CA).
Monterey Peninsula Quilt Guild, 1990-1991, (Pacific Grove, CA).
Quilter's Unlimited, (Fairfax Chapter), 1991-1995, (Fairfax, VA).
Fresno Fiber Guild, 1995-1998, (Fresno, CA). Valley Oaks Quilt Guild, 1995-1998, (Tulare, CA).
Best of the Valley Quilt Show Advisory board, Tulare Historical Museum, 1996-98, (Tulare, CA).
Common Threads Quilt Guild, founded, 1998-present, (Lemoore, CA).
Friendship Quilters, 1998-present, (Poway, CA).